Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Chicken with White Beans

Last week I had sick children, which meant I wasn't able to go anywhere and was pretty much stuck at home.  It also meant, I didn't have much in the way of fresh groceries, since I missed my weekly shopping trip on Monday morning.  I find when this happens, I am forced to get a little more creative with my recipes. Since I had spinach, mushrooms, canned beans and chicken breast on hand, I came up with this recipe, and I'm sooo glad I did!  One of the best things about it was how simple it was to make!  I'm planning a post soon about my favorite things to stock in your pantry!  In the mean time, I hope you have these things on hand, and if not, it's worth the trip the the market!  Enjoy!



Ingredients:
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 large handfuls of baby spinach
10-15 crimini mushrooms thinly sliced
2 cans of white beans drained and rinsed.
2 cups of chicken broth
1/2 cup of white wine
olive oil
2 cloves of garlic
salt & pepper
garnish with fresh parsley and a squeeze of lemon

Directions:
In a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat add olive oil.  While pan is heating, season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper.  When pan is hot brown the chicken breasts on both sides and remove from the heat.  Reduce the heat to medium, add a little more olive oil to the pan if needed, and add mushrooms and garlic.  Saute until the mushrooms are brown.  Add the wine and chicken broth and return the chicken breasts to the pan.  Reduce heat until just simmering and cover. Cook chicken for about 20 minutes then add the beans.  Allow the beans to warm through, 2-3 minutes.  Remove from heat and toss in spinach right before serving.  Garnish with parsley and lemon.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your lovely comments!