Friday, July 11, 2014

Chalk Paint Recipe

I've been busy painting again, which made me think that I should re-post my recipe for the Chalk Paint that I use.  I got this recipe from a little card at Emigh Hardware, the local hardware store I visit way too often! I've used it many times and it has never failed me!

1/2 Cup Plaster of Paris
1/2 Cup Hot Water
1 1/2 Cups of Paint

Dissolve the plaster of paris in the hot water, mixing well.  Stir in the paint.  Brush on your project.  No need to sand!  Brush against the grain and paint in all directions.  (My kids love to help me with this part, since you don't have to be particularly careful!)  The mixture is thinner than regular paint, so you may need to do several coats, depending on what you are trying to cover.  Once the paint dries completely, seal with clear wax, and colored wax depending on the desired effect.

I recommend Briwax, but have heard that Minwax makes a good product as well.  See my original post about Chalk Paint and Wax for more info on the wax process!

Happy painting!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your lovely comments!