Saturday, February 1, 2014

Artichoke Spinach Dip

This is my last Game Day Recipe before the Super Super Bowl tomorrow, and boy is it a good one!  I don't know about you, but one of my favorite appetizers to order when I go out to eat is Artichoke Spinach Dip. (Or some variation of that.)  Last week I was watching The Chew and saw one of the chef's make Spinach Dip.  It looked pretty easy, so I gave it a try.  I found that I needed to add and change things up a little for it to suit me, so I'm pretty comfortable calling this an original "Heather" recipe.  It's really easy to make, and you might just have everything you need to make it at hand!  (I did!)  Anyway, I hope you'll give this a try and that you love it as much as I do!  Enjoy!

Ingredients:
3 tbs butter
2 cloves of garlic
pinch of salt
3 tbs of flour
3 1/2 cups of milk
1 8oz package of cream cheese
2 tsp of ranch seasoning mix
3/4 cup of grated parmesan cheese; Plus additional 1/4 for top (I liked shredded for top, but anything works)
1 10oz package of frozen spinach defrosted and drained (you can place it in a dish towel once it is defrosted and give it a good ringing to get all the water out)
1 can of artichoke hearts chopped finely
Chips, baguette or veggies to dip with

Directions:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  While oven is heating, place a large skillet or sauce pan over medium heat and begin melting butter.  Add garlic and flour and stir together for a couple of minutes until a thick paste forms. Slowly whisk in milk. (Make sure you whisk and add milk slowly so lumps don't form!)  Bring to a bubble and add the cream cheese.  When it is melted and combined add the parmesan cheese and stir until melted. Add the ranch seasoning mix.  Check the seasoning at this point. (I didn't need more salt, but you may want to add a little more.  A little cayenne or hot sauce would be delicious too!)  Add spinach and artichoke hearts.  Stir well and remove from heat.  Transfer to a greased baking dish and top with remaining cheese. Place in oven and bake until bubbly and the cheese is golden.  Serve with tortilla chips, bread or veggies.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your lovely comments!