Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Thrift Store Finds

I get asked all the time "Where do you get your daughter's clothes?  They are so cute!"  My answer might surprise you because most of my daughters clothes come from thrift stores!  
That's right folks, I am a thrift store junkie!  I love a good bargain and as a stay at home mom to two kiddos any way I can save a buck helps (I buy underwear & I socks new!!) In August, my oldest daughter Lily Claire started kindergarten.  Any of you with kids know how expensive their clothes can be!  And how fast they grow!  I figured if I could assemble her wardrobe for school through mostly thrift store finds I could save us a ton of money!  So I did it and here's what I learned:

You have to shop frequently.  You don't have to spend a ton of time, but you do need to go often.  People donate all the time, meaning new product arrives daily. You don't have to spend a ton of time going though the the entire store (unless you want to!) you just have to do a quick sweep of the racks every few days.  My goal is to go at least once a week, sometimes twice.  Yes I know that sounds like a lot of work, but I swear some of the deals I have found have made it worth the time.

Another tip I have is to look for things that are off season.  In the middle of July I found jackets, sweaters, jeans and boots.  People aren't always looking for cold weather clothes when it is 100 degrees outside.  Don't be afraid to buy a size or two up.  I find cute things all the time, but they aren't necessarily going to fit my girls anytime soon.  I buy them anyway, because I know they will fit some day!  (I'll share my organization idea for storing larger sizes soon, so be on the lookout!)

My last tip for the day is look for quality.  I am not one to buy brand name at retail prices.  Mainly because I can't afford to pay $40 for one sweater or $30 for a pair of jeans.  However, I have found that name brand clothes do tend to last longer and still have a lot of life left.  I have had the best luck with Gymboree, Gap Kids and Janie & Jack.

Here are the pictures of Lily Claire's kindergarten wardrobe ALL from thrift stores.









If you want the break down I bought 4 pairs of jeans, 1 cords, 3 jackets, 3 short sleeved sweaters, 4 skirts, 2 capris, 2 short sleeved blouses, 2 long sleeved blouses, 4 long sleeved t-shirts, 2 long sleeved sweaters, 4 dresses (including the one she's wearing in the picture) and one pair of Ugg boots (with slightly scuffed toes) for a grand total of $80.  That's right folks $80 for EVERYTHING!!







1 comment:

  1. I NEED to do this! The shorts with the bows are adorable! You've inspired me to give it a try, although boys are just not as fun to shop for. :oP

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments!