Thursday, October 10, 2013

Chicken Fried Rice

The other night I made Chicken & Vegetable Curry for dinner.  I made extra rice and thought I would use my leftovers to make Chicken Fried Rice.  My youngest daughter, Ella, has a major food allergy to eggs, so there are no eggs in my fried rice, but they would probably be delicious if you're so inclined.

Chicken Fried Rice

3 cups cooked white rice
2 carrots peeled and diced
1/2 of a red bel pepper diced
1 cup frozen peas
1 ear of corn shucked and removed from cob
1 cooked chicken breast diced
2 tbs canola oil
sesame oil to taste
low sodium soy sauce
chicken broth

Directions:  In a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat saute vegetables (except peas) with canola oil until slightly softened.  Add the rice & the sesame oil.  I did not put down exact measurements for the sesame oil, soy sauce or chicken broth because it depends on how much you like these things.  I started with a small amount of the sesame oil as it has a pretty strong flavor, probably only 1tsp.  I used about 3 tbs of soy sauce and about 1/4 cup of chicken broth.  Once the rice and vegetables are combined I turned the heat to medium and placed the lid on the skillet for about 5 minutes.  At this point I stirred the mixture again and added the chicken and peas.  Also check to see if it needs any more seasoning (more soy sauce) or liquid.  The rice can absorb the liquid fast so it is a good idea to stir it every couple minutes until it turns golden and looks like mine above.  It only takes a couple minutes for the peas to heat through and the chicken to warm up.  The whole dish probably only took me 20 minutes.  I garnished mine with a little thai basil, but green onion would be great too.  If you decide to add the scrambled egg I would make them separately and then add them when you remove the dish from the heat.  Eggs tend to cook fast and become rubbery and you wouldn't want yucky eggs ruining your beautiful rice!  Enjoy & let me know what you think!

Heather


1 comment:

Thank you for your lovely comments!