Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Review of the Ikea Minnen Toddler Bed

Ikea Minnen

Last February we purchased the Minnen Toddler bed from Ikea.  Ella had figured out how to climb out of her crib and it was only a matter of time before she fell and hurt herself.  I knew that I wanted a bed for her that had a vintage feel, but wasn't too high.  Unlike our older daughter, Ella flails a lot in her sleep and we were worried about her falling out of bed.  I remembered that Ikea had a number of toddler beds so we went out there to look at them.  I ended up loving the Minnen and we took it home and set it up that night.

The Minnen Toddler bed is a low, adjustable bed, with two additional mattress sections that can slip in as your child grows.  Since last February Ella had been sleeping on the main part of the mattress and the two additional pieces were stored away in her closet.  The other night while I was tucking her into bed I noticed that she had grown so much that she was nearly touching the foot of the bed when she stretched out.  So... yesterday I took her bedding off and added one of the additional sections.

Toddler Bed

The side rails have two bolts on each side.  You just unscrew them and slide the bed out a notch, then replace the bolts and the bed is extended to the next size up.  It was really simple to switch the size and it didn't take very long at all.

So, what you probably want to know is do we like the Minnen?

Yes!

Is there anything you don't like about the Minnen?

Yes!

Let me explain...

A standard twin sheet will not fit properly on this bed.  Ikea does sell fitted sheets that will fit the mattress, and we purchased a set, but the quality was poor and the jersey knit quickly got holes in it. Instead of using the sheets it comes with, I use a standard twin and tuck the excess fabric under the mattress. This works, but takes a bit of effort since the mattress rests on wooden slats and you can see the fabric hanging down under the bed if you don't tuck properly.

The bed is hard to make.  I like a well made bed.  I do in fact make all the beds in the house every morning.  To me this is important, its a habit I grew up with and just can't shake even as a busy 34 year old mom of two.  Because this bed has little scrolly sides, to make it properly the sheet and quilt need to be tucked in all the way around.  This means I have to lift the mattress on three sides and tuck, tuck, tuck, then check to be sure that all the fabric is tucked properly between the mattress and slats so there isn't excess hanging down under the bed. (Yes I know this could be seen as obsessive, but to me it matters!) If this isn't something that would bother you, then it wouldn't be a problem, but it might just drive some of you crazy, so I think it's worth mentioning.

Toddler Bed

Now the next question...Would I buy this bed for my daughter again?

Yes

Again, let me explain...

I love the look of this bed so much that I don't mind the extra effort (most of the time) that it takes to make it.  My daughter loves her bed.  It fits her perfectly and I love that it will grow with her.


To sum things up, I think this bed is a great choice and worth the effort.  I hope this helps you make up your mind if you're considering the Minnen!

Sweet Dreams!

23 comments:

  1. Thanks for this review! I'm wondering if a standard twin would fit on the bed- when it is fully extended, do you know?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Question. When this bed is extended to its max is it the same size as a standard twin mattress? Asking because I want to purchase but the extended mattress is out of stock and they don't know when it will be back in stock. I figured I would just purchase a standard twin instead. thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have this bed, and yes it does extend to a full sized twin when fully extended. There are 3 lengths: crib length, youth bed length and full sized twin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have this bed, and yes it does extend to a full sized twin when fully extended. There are 3 lengths: crib length, youth bed length and full sized twin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect, Thank you so much
    Brinley!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what age do u think the kids will be still using it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. At crib length can can you use a regular crib mattress?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, the width of the bed is wider than a standard crib mattress. It is the width of a twin bed, even though the length can change from small all the way to twin length.

      Delete
  8. Also can toddler twins fit in the same bed once we were to put in toddler size cuz the width looks wider than a regular crib.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A traditional crib mattress will not fit on this bed, as the frame is wider than the mattress. A regular twin mattress will fit on the bed, although you may want to get one from Ikea, as a regular one may be thicker and look a little off when the bed is made.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My daugter got her foot trap on the bed because of the curly metal things and she fracture her medial malleolus. I don't recoment it

    ReplyDelete
  11. My daugter got her foot trap on the bed because of the curly metal things and she fracture her medial malleolus. I don't recoment it

    ReplyDelete
  12. Reading this review a couple of years late, but I just wanted to add that the bed is hard to make for Americans because it's made by Scandinavian standards...they use duvets that are never tucked in to the sides of the beds like Americans do. The duvets are folded in half and just layed on top of the bed :) Europeans simplify things as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We just got this bed and are trying to figure out what mattress cover to get for it. A twin and just fold it under?
    I couldnt believe how long it took me to make the bed! Hopefully with time it gets easier!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, would anyone be able to tell me the length of the bed on the second setting please? Many thanks

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, just wondering what size comforter would fit best for this bed?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Extremely late to the party, but many years later... did the bed frame hold up after all? My concern is, once fully extended to the max, can it support the constant weight and movement of an average person/child, especially in the center?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, I'm not sure. My daughters ended up wanting to share a bedroom about three years ago and we bought them new beds that fit the space better and had storage drawers under them.

      Delete
  18. can the height be adjusted?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments!