Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Nicoise Salad

You guys, a few days ago my five year old daughter squirted out my baby girls dose of her reflux meds onto my laptop.  Everything works still, but the f and d key are sticking.  So frustrating... Anyway, that has abso nothing to do with salad, but I'm typing and it's buggin' so I'm venting here...

tuna, tomatoes, egg, potatoes, green beans, olives, cucumber

Nicoise Salad... Have I told you that my 9 year old daughter is going to France with her grandparents this summer, like in a month??  It sounded like such an amazing opportunity when they asked if they could take her and I just couldn't say no.  But, now that the passport has arrived and we are talking luggage, planes, travel plans... I'm getting a little emotional about it!  I love France, especially Paris, and I know she will have the best time.  But, she'll be in another country far away from me and I'll be missing her like crazy.  I have this idea that if I eat lots of French food while she is gone it will be like I am right there with her.  So, bring on the Brie... and salad, always this salad.

salad, tuna

Traditionally, I believe the potatoes are boiled, not roasted, but I like a little crunch and more flavor, so I roast these babies up.  Usually when you think salad, you think simple and fast.  This is not hard to make, but it does take a little more effort than other salads you might find on my blog.  With a little prep you could make this quickly, ie. hard boil eggs ahead of time and use leftover green beans, potatoes, but even if you don't it won't really take that long to make.

Ingredients (serves 2-4):
1 head of romaine hearts
3 hard boiled eggs
2 handfuls of cherry tomatoes
1/2 a large can of green olives (or any olives of your choosing)
haricots verts (skinny green beans) I used half a bag from Trader Joes
1 can of good tuna packed in olive oil
1 small cucumber (I like the little persian ones from TJ's, you don't have to peel them.)
salad dressing of choice

Directions:
If you don't have leftover green beans or potatoes, start on these and the hard boiled eggs first. I cut the potatoes into 1" chunks and then boiled them for about 5 minutes.  Then I drained them on paper towels, seasoned them with some garlic salt and pepper and coated with olive oil. Roast them for 15 minutes at 425 degrees. Boil green beans 4-5 minutes then remove from water and shock them in an ice bath so they stay bright green.

Lay out your lettuce on a large plate or platter. Arrange tomatoes, sliced hard boiled eggs, sliced cucumber, potatoes, green beans, lives, and drained tuna. Top with your favorite dressing and garnish with a little flat leaf parsley if you have it.  Et voila! (I'm obsessed with the caramelized onion and bacon salad dressing from TJ's, it's so good on this salad!)

Enjoy and dream sweet French dreams tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your lovely comments!