Monday, March 5, 2018

Kitchen Counter Makeover Take 2

I originally undertook this project in November of 2016.  At the time I was about 7 months pregnant with Camille and I was soooo tired of looking at the ugly blue formica counters we had been living with for years.  I found some cheap granite looking contact paper at Walmart on clearance for about $3 a roll and decided to cover my countertops with it.  The result was clearly soooo much better!  And, it lasted over a year, making that the best $10 I have ever spent!  But, the paper was not very thick, and with the every day use a kitchen gets, it started to peel and get a bit worn through in spots.  So, about a month ago I decided to redo the countertops in fresh contact paper. 

kitchen makeover

contact paper

diy kitchen

The paper I chose this time was a little thicker and actually has a bit of texture to it.  I love the neutral color and it actually went on a little easier because the thicker paper didn't stretch as much.  I also found I didn't make as many mistakes this time. Not sure if that's because of the paper or if I just got better with practice.  Below are a few pictures of the first round with contact paper.

diy

And here are the ugly counters with nothing on them...


So much better after, right??

DIY Countertops

contact paper

Here is what you need for this project:
  • Contact paper (use a measuring tape to take a basic measurement ahead of time so you know how much to buy, and make sure to buy a little extra)
  • Very clean kitchen countertops
  • Room to move around
  • utility knife, scissors & credit card
  • good music
  • coffee
Here are my main tips for this project:
  • Start in a corner or section of countertop that isn't the main focus in your kitchen.  I started mine in this corner (pictured below) because it is a little darker here and harder to see imperfections, and also because I keep a lot of everyday supplies here so I knew I could hide any mistakes with a strategically placed cutting board or bowl of fruit.  
  • Work in small sections when possible.  If you cut too big of a piece and try to cover a large area all at once, it is much more difficult to smooth out bubbles and prevent creases.  Using small sections to cover the back splash area and to go around sinks or edges/corners made for a much easier application and smoother look. 
  • Have a sharp utility knife on hand and a credit card.  I put a brand new blade in my knife before I started this project, which made cuts really easy to make.  The credit card is good for smoothing air bubbles.
  • Have a ton of patience.  This can be tedious and frustrating at times.  The contact paper that I used was not very thick and therefore stretched a little if you needed to lift and re-position. 
  • Don't start this project without having several hours to devote to it, or plan to do it in steps. I have a very small amount of counter space and it still took 3-4 hours to apply.
  • Don't expect perfection.  You will miss some air bubbles and some seams may not be perfectly straight.  Try no to let this stress you out.  Remember the end result is just to cover whatever god awful formica or material you have underneath them.  It may not be perfect, but it will be so much better than before.
The end result for me was worth the effort.  I don't know how long it will last or how it will hold up, but I will be happy to update you as time passes!  I hope I inspired you to be brave and tackle a project like this in your own house!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your lovely comments!