Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Easy Holiday Swag

I have been working like crazy to transform my house into a winter wonderland.  Think that scene in Elf where he decorates the department store... Anyway, that's why I'm a little late getting this DIY project posted.  I have many more DIY's this month, but here's my first.

This holiday swag was really easy to make.  All you need  for the greenery is some clippings from a magnolia tree and a little cedar if you like.  I picked up a 6' swag from Trader Joe's 
so I just snipped a few pieces off.

You'll also need a thin board or leftover trim.  Cut to about 24 inches long.  Mine happened to be about three inches wide.  I know that Michael's sells trim for just a few bucks if you don't have something laying around.  You'll also need some pruning shears, a staple gun, 
some floral wire or twine, and some ribbon.

Don't mind the mimosa in the corner.  Holiday cheer, right?


Start at one end and staple the cedar and magnolia leaves around the end working your way towards the middle.  I like to flip a few leaves over so there is a lot of texture and color.



 When you reach the middle, start on the opposite side and work towards the finished side.

Once you reach the center staple a few leaves in a round shape, staple the ribbon to the center and tie a bow.  Sorry I forgot to take a picture of how I stapled the bow.  Holiday cheer, remember?


I just stapled a little floral wire to each side of the back of the board, then hung it on the wall.


I didn't spray mine with any preservatives because it's not going to be hanging on my wall for very long anyway.  It's one of the fastest projects I've worked on this season.

Here's a sneak peak at one of the other DIY projects I've been working on.  Tutorial coming soon!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your lovely comments!