Sunday, January 12, 2014

Before & After

A few months ago I picked up this toy chest at a thrift store.  It was pretty beat up and needed a makeover, including new hardware.  With all the busyness of the holidays I didn't get it done as quickly as I would have liked, but I am proud to announce that it's finally finished...kind of...  You see I haven't done anything with the inside yet.  I haven't figured out what I want to do with it, but for now it's done. I put it in Ella's room and it is now storing all her toys that she got for her birthday and Christmas.  I tried to take a bunch of photos of it, but they aren't quite doing it justice.  Anyway here's what I did manage to get and there is a before in there too.
I used the chalk paint & wax method that I'm pretty fond of. It gives it a bit of an aged patina that works well in Ella's room and compliments her vintage dresser. 
It was such a plain piece and didn't have much detail so I added this stencil to give it a little more character.

Here's what it looked like before.  I ended up having to replace the hardware too. I wanted to be sure that it wouldn't slam closed on Ella's little hands while she was playing.

Overall, I think it wasn't a bad deal for $9.99.  Now on to the next project...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your lovely comments!