Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Chili Relleno Casserole

Chili Rellenos are a big treat at our house.  My three year old has a severe egg allergy, so anytime I bring eggs into the house I have to be extremely careful.  Yesterday we had her distracted and I was able to make this treat for my husband and I for dinner.


I have to say this would also be great for brunch.  And let me tell you, it's easy peasy to put together.


Ingredients:
1 can of whole mild green chilies
2 cups of montery jack or cheddar jack cheese
5 eggs
2 cups of whole milk
1 tsp of onion powder
1 tsp of garlic powder
1/4 tsp of cayenne (or a few dashes of hot sauce)
1/2 tsp of paprika
cilantro for garnish

Directions:
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  In a large mixing bowl whisk eggs, milk and seasonings together. Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish.  Make a slit in the whole chili until it will lay flat, pat dry with a paper towel and place in the bottom of the casserole dish.  After you have a layer of chilies top with half of the cheese.  Lay another layer of chilies, then top with the rest of the cheese.  Pour the egg mixture on top of the cheese and place in the oven and bake for 45-50 minutes.  Garnish with cilantro and allow to set for about 15 minutes before dishing it up.  It would also be great at room temperature.



Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your lovely comments!