Thursday, November 13, 2014

Creamy Chicken & Orzo Soup

A few days ago I saw a pin on Pinterest for Orzo Soup,  I didn't pin it and when I went back to find it I couldn't find the one that I had first seen.  So... of course, I decided to make my own.  Let me tell you, if you like chicken noodle soup, then you will love this soup!  It is hearty, satisfying and will definitely warm you up on a cold day!  Plus, it's really simple to put together.  In fact, I had everything I needed to make it in my pantry/fridge!



Ingredients:
1 yellow onion (or half if you have a huge one) diced
2 cloves of garlic
4 stems and fronds of fennel
2 tbs of butter
1 tbs of olive oil
3 tbs of flour
1 36oz carton of chicken broth
1 cup of half and half'
4 carrots peeled and cut into coins
1 can of diced tomatoes
4 cups of fresh baby spinach
3 shredded poached chicken breasts
1 cup of orzo {rice shaped pasta}
pinch of red pepper flakes
1 tsp of dried thyme
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
In a heavy bottom skillet {I love my dutch oven} melt butter and olive oil together over medium heat. Add onion, fennel, garlic, and red chili flake and saute until soft, 3-5 minutes.  Add flour and stir well until a thick paste forms.  Cook paste for at least 2 minutes, then slowly add the chicken broth, a little at a time so no lumps form.  Once the chicken broth is fully combined, add the can of diced tomatoes and the carrots.  Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer and continue to cook until the carrots are nearly tender, about 12 minutes.  Add the orzo and continue to simmer for another 7 minutes, then add the poached chicken {see my easy recipe here!} half and half.  Check the seasoning at this point, as more salt and pepper may be required according to taste.  As soon as the half and half comes to a simmer, turn off the heat and stir in the baby spinach.  Serve immediately!  {I love to serve with a really good garlic bread to dip in the broth!}  Enjoy!


1 comment:

Thank you for your lovely comments!