Saturday, August 23, 2014

How Does Your Garden Grow?

I'm spending some relaxing time in my garden today.  It was a crazy week and a break was much needed.
I didn't get as much done with my garden this year, but a few things grew really well.

My Thai Basil is really beautiful.

And my Sweet Basil is doing great.  I use it a ton so it really saves me money to grow a few basil plants instead of having to buy it at the store every time I want to make pesto.

The Rainbow Chard is really yummy and works well in place of spinach in recipes.

And the beets are my favorite!  It's the first time I've grown them myself!

Unfortunately, my tomatoes haven't done as well this year.  I'm not sure if it's because they are a different variety than what I usually plant, or if it has something to do with not getting enough water.  We're under strict water restrictions due to the drought, so we are only "allowed" to water 2 times a week.  I've been giving my garden a little extra, by hand, just to keep things alive.

I'm still surprised my kale did well.  I planted it by seed in the early spring.  I knew it was a cooler weather vegetable, but I thought it was worth a try.  Amazingly, it has continued to grow 
and do well all summer, even in the 108 degree heat!

Ella is making "compost" for the plants.  I call her my little topless gardener.

We let her bring Anna outside for a little peek at the garden.  Look at those eyes! :)

I hope you are all having a fantastic weekend!  
I'd love for you to leave me a comment and let me know what's growing in your garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your lovely comments!