Saturday, November 8, 2014

Corn Chowder

Corn Chowder is one of my favorite foods.  I know, I say that about a lot... I just really love food! What can I say? :)  Anyhow, if you are looking for a good recipe for a weeknight meal or maybe want to have a few friends over for lunch, this chowder would be the perfect meal!  It's budget friendly, only takes a few minutes to put together and it feeds a ton!  I topped mine with a little grilled shrimp, but that's totally optional.


Ingredients:
1 onion diced
2 carrots peeled and diced
1 red pepper, seeded and diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 large bag of frozen sweet yellow corn, or 2 regular sized bags
32oz of vegetable or chicken broth
1 cup of heavy cream or half and half
2 sprigs of thyme 
salt & pepper
olive oil
Optional: Raw shrimp seasoned with paprika, salt and pepper

Directions:
After dicing your vegetables, heat a heavy bottomed skillet, such as a dutch oven, over medium heat. Add a couple tablespoons of olive oil and begin sauteing the onions.  Once translucent add the carrots, bell pepper and garlic and salt and pepper and saute for about 5 minutes. Add the corn and the broth.  Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and allow all vegetables to soften, about 15 minutes.  If you like your soup chunky, you can stir in the cream at this step, but I like to use my immersion blender to puree it a little, just so it has a little smoother texture.  After the pure step, add the cream.  Check the seasoning, as it may need a little more salt or pepper.  If you choose to serve with the shrimp, make sure they are clean and deveined, tails removed.  Season them lightly with paprika, salt and pepper and grill them for 2 minutes on each side or until they turn pink.  Top your soup with the shrimp and you're all set!  

I hope you enjoy this hearty and tasty meal as much as I did!    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your lovely comments!