Sunday, November 22, 2015

DIY Flocked Christmas Tree


I bought our Christmas tree about 7 years ago for $70 at Target.  It's been a good tree.  But the pre-lit lights gave out about three Christmases back.  I painstakingly used wire snippers to cut off strand after strand of lights because a new tree wasn't in the budget that year.

This year I was seriously crushing on some beautiful flocked trees that I was seeing in Instagram and Pinterest.  Once again, not in my budget.  So... I researched how to flock my own tree.  I figured if this old tree had made it through nearly 8 Christmases I didn't have much to lose if it didn't turn out great.  So I headed out yesterday and I bought three bags of artificial snow at Target for $1.99 each. Then I found some Elmer's Glue Spray Adhesive from the hardware store for $4.99 (I actually bought 2 cans of this but only needed 1).  At the hardware store that had some canned snow and I picked up a few cans of this too.  I think it was $2.99 a can.


I started with the bottom layer.  First I sprayed the glue on the branches, then I sprinkled on the fake snow.  Next I filled in the leftover green with the canned snow.  It turned out really good!


When we brought the tree inside a quite a bit of "snow" came off.  I should have filled it in then, but I got all anxious about putting on lights and ornaments and sort of skipped this step.



I still need to buy some more ornaments.  For some reason I feel like the tree looks a little sparse.  I am loving it though!  And for only about $20 it totally gave my tree some new life and got me the look I was going for!

Happy Holiday decorating to all of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your lovely comments!