Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Birthday Cake



I posted a picture of this cake I made for my niece's birthday last month and I had a few people ask me to share the recipe.  Unfortunately, I am not a huge baker, so I don't really have an amazing recipe to share. I used a boxed mix lemon cake and split the batter between two round cake pans.  I followed the box instructions and let the cakes cool over night.  Then I made my favorite icing, which is just one block of soft cream cheese, one stick of butter and one box of confectioners sugar, whipped until light and fluffy.  I added a little lemon juice since I used a lemon cake mix but you could easily use vanilla or another flavor if wanted.  Also if you wanted pink frosting or another color you could add a few drops of food coloring.


 I used a serrated knife to cut the cake rounds in half so I would have four layers of cake.  I spread a layer of frosting over the top of each cake as I stacked them.  Then I topped the cake with some fresh flowers that I washed well and dried first.  I happen to think it looks beautiful and it tasted great too!


With the holidays coming up you could use a spiced cake and all kinds of different flowers (be sure they aren't poisonous!) I hope this inspires you to decorate a cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your lovely comments!