Saturday, September 6, 2014

Orecchiette with Tuna & Chickpeas

One of the things I love to do is record cooking shows and watch them later when I can zip through the commercials.  Last week I watched an episode of The Chew and saw a chef making this dish.  I didn't write down the recipe, but I thought I remembered enough to give it a shot.  It turned out great and will be going in my dinner rotation!  It's packed with protein and is super healthy!  Plus it was a snap to put together.



Ingredients:
1lb. of orecchiette
1 can of chickpeas (garbanzo beans) drained and rinsed
2 cans of tuna packed in olive oil
1 lemon zested and juiced
2 cloves of garlic finely minced
1 cup of flat leaf parsley roughly chopped
pinch of red pepper flake
1 cup of pasta water
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Prepare pasta according to package instructions.  While it is cooking, add tuna to a non-stick skillet over medium heat.  Gently break up the tuna so it's in smaller chunks.  Add chickpeas, lemon zest, red pepper flake and garlic.  Reserve a cup of the cooking liquid from your pasta.  When the pasta is cooked to al dente, drain and add it to your skillet with the tuna.  Stir well and add lemon juice.  Add water 1/4 cup at a time until the sauce comes together and coats the pasta completely.  Remove from heat,  add salt and pepper to taste and stir in parsley.  Serve immediately.



I hope you'll give this one a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your lovely comments!