Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Broccolini & Sausage Penne

If you follow me on Instagram (and you should!) you know that I make different variations of this dish a lot. Like at least once a week. I've probably talked about it on there before, but the reason I like this so much is I can make one meal and everyone can eat something they like. For the picky eaters, they get the plain broccoli and pasta, and for the more adventurous, the broccoli and pasta get a little help from my friends garlic and red pepper flake.  Throw in some roasted butternut squash or a little pancetta, some spinach pasta and a little romano on top, really the combinations are endless...
pasta

So, here is my go to.  Please, please make it! And tell me what you used! Cabbage and diced ham... bell peppers and rotisserie chicken... endless I tell you!

Ingredients:
1 bunch of broccolini
1 lb. penne or pasta of choice
olive oil
garlic sliced thinly (use as much as you like, I use a lot!)
red pepper flake
reserved pasta cooking water
1 pkg of cooked turkey sausage with artichoke & spinach (or any protein you like!)

Directions:
Cook the pasta just shy of al dente and reserve a mug full of the cooking water.  While pasta is cooking, in a heavy bottomed skillet, I always use cast iron, heat olive oil on medium heat and add garlic and pepper flake. Make sure it doesn't burn, just toasts lightly and turns golden.  When the pasta is done, drain, but don't toss out the water, and add to the garlic. Add the broccolini to the boiling water and cook 2-3 minutes, then drain and add to the skillet with pasta and garlic.  If needed add a little of your reserved cooking water to make a lose sauce. Taste for seasoning and add salt and more pepper if desired. Remove from heat and serve with parmesan or cheese of choice.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your lovely comments!