Friday, July 29, 2016

Dresser Makeover Reveal





A few posts back I shared a before picture of a dresser I found at a thrift store recently.  I also shared the news that we are expecting our third daughter, due in January.  Since I am starting to do some nursery planning I knew that I needed a new dresser, but instead of buying a new one (of course by that I mean a used one, I rarely buy new furniture) for the baby, I wanted to get a new (to us!) one for my 8 year old daughter and use her dresser for the baby.  Since her dresser was dark wood and so is the crib, I knew they would look good together and work in the nursery.

After searching thrift stores for a few weeks, I finally found one.

You may remember that I attempted to make a batch of chalk paint that I intended to use on the dresser, but it turned into a weird sludge that wouldn't work.  Since I couldn't use the chalk paint, I lightly sanded the entire dresser and went ahead and painted it with with regular paint.  I used Valspar's Aspire line in the shade Falling in Love, which is a perfect very light blush/pink.

Since the dresser was pretty dark to begin with, I needed three coats to cover it completely.  I chose to lightly distress it with some sand paper because that was the look I wanted.  I debated sealing it with poly or wax but ultimately decided to stick with wax, since I'm more comfortable with it and like the sheen it gives.  I purchased new drawer pulls at Hobby Lobby, which in my opinion has the best selection of reasonably priced pulls around, especially when they are on sale %50 off.

I am very pleased with the results.

Since I have the dresser situation worked out now, I've moved on to the next step of my nursery plan! I can't wait to share the progress I'm making with you all!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your lovely comments!